We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Missing Icons from system bar

Farleyjim

Likes # 0

On my wife's PC(Windows XP Home) the speaker icon and one or two others have disappeared from the system bar. When I go to Properties and customize, I notice that the missing icons appear in the "lower list" of the dialogue box. How do I restore these missing icons? I have recently installed "Twonky" to her machine but don't recall whether this problem occured then.Could this have affected the system bar? Many thanks

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

When you see the icons in Properties and Customize, click on the right hand side column next to the name and you can change the status. If they say 'Hide if inactive' then they will show in the systems bar when that program is active. If not active, then they are hidden.

Wonder if that helps you?

If not, then wait for someone with more knowledge/expertise than I have

Cheers

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Try this and see if it fixes it

Rightclick on a blank part of Taskbar and leftclick on Properties to open the 'Taskbar and Start Menu Properties.

Taskbar tab, Put a tick in 'Hide inactive icons' so that the 'Customize' button will become active.

Click on 'Customize' button and 'Customize Notifications' will open for 'Current Items' and 'Past Items'

Click on the item you want (Volume) and at the right a dropdown box will become active, click on the down arrow and choose the action you want.

Click on OK

You can untick 'Hide inactive icons' now if you want to.

Click on 'Apply' and 'OK'

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

They can also disappear for other reasons.

Google links

Happens with me on W7 as well. Almost always, a reboot will bring them up. But that's not always convenient.

I made some shortcuts and stuck them in Quicklaunch. So even if missing I don't have to reboot.

I never have tracked down a definite fix or explanation of why mine are only sometimes missing.

Like this post
Farleyjim

Likes # 0

Given the involvement and variable success that people are having, I think it might be best to do nothing and put up with the frustration! a pity, though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room