We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can anyone suggest Mac Software

Sparkly
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all my neighbour has orderd a Mac and has never had one before he has allways used a PC windows based, he was asking about software to burn CD's/DVD's and Office software he has Office 2007 but i told him i was pretty sure that it would not install on a Mac, would appreciate any suggestions on good software for the Mac as i have never had any dealings with them. Many thanks.

Free or Paid for software doesent mind either way.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Wait until he gets it and then look at the apps available in the Apple Store. I have "Pages" and "Numbers" on my iPad (About £7 each) to replace my Office 2007 Word and Xcel. It may come with IWorks pre loaded. Sorry I don't know about software for burning, but I suspect there will be one pre loaded. If not Apps Store again?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You'll have to wait for the mac experts to reply. But there are 2 versions of MS Office software - PC and Mac and I doubt that your friend's software will run without windows virtualisation.

Like this post
Sparkly

Likes # 0

Thanks rawprawn,Woolwell he should take delivery this week so will do as you suggest rawprawn and maybe wait for the mac experts to reply. Thanks to you both.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

iWork is not preloaded,he has to pay for it.

Office for Mac 2011, Home and Student Edition (1 User, 1Mac) click here Office for Mac 2011, Home and Student (Family Pack--3 Users, 3 Macs) click here

For basic burning needs, he can use Finder's integrated burning (for making data CDs), Disk Utility (for burning or making images), and iTunes (for audio CDs), he should be ok however if he needs to do more advanced stuff, he can always get Toast Titanium (paid for), which is a great piece of software. click here, there are some freeware out there but I have never used.

Virii infection on a Mac is rare (but possible), he can download ClamXav (antiVirus for Mac) click here

Like this post  
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

IVD, is a good starting point for movie projects, I can also highly recommend Aperture 3 for photo work.

A word of caution about Office for Mac. I wouldn't buy the full version with Outlook....it's full of bugs. There are better email clients for Mac. Apple mail is included, but I prefer Thunderbird ( it's free) as posted above, have your friend browse the Mac app store. He will be amazed at what is available and just how cheaply.

Its where you start to claw back your investment in the kit. There are hundreds of apps many free. Aperture 3 which i mentioned above is £54.00 and is a fully featured photo editing package.

IPhoto should be pre-installed and it's pretty good too. Hope this helps!

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Oops should read IDVD!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer