We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No serial number on Win 7

Hetti

Likes # 0

My husbands Laptop runs win 7, but the disk that came with Laptop has no serial number on it, how would he reinstall OS if needed?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

The disc won't have the number - it should be on a sticker on the underside of the laptop. It's unusual for the disc to be provided these days.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Serial No on base of laptop?

or run a key finder http://pcsupport.about.com/od/osproductkeys/f/windows-7-serial-key.htm

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

This is a great bit of software: Produkey Will even find a product key if all you have is a problems PC's hard-drive connected to your own.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

gengis - that's a hand little prog.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

gengiscant just tried it on my oem Win 7 laptop but gives the wrong key. I suspect it gives the version HP uses to mass install. Haven't found a keyfinder yet that will reveal the key thats printed on the sticker. OK for retail but fails with OEM.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

It's clear as mud

I haven't found anything that divulges the same as my COA either.

Seeing as my Recovery DVDs (two sets) and Partition (+backup copy) work and I have multiple System Images, I hope I won't need a key anyway.

I have also written down my COA key in my 'laptop logbook' in case it ever gets rubbed off the bottom.

Just call me paranoid.

I suppose the answer for Hetti's husband:

Make System Image(s) to an external drive + a boot disc. Use Easeus Todo (I like the new v3, v2 was awful) Make a W7 System Repair Disc (Start/Search Backup and Restore) (only for fixing boot problems, does not hold the operating system)

Also not that while W7 can also make images and backups, it is not my and others preference for many reasons.

Easeus now does both and incremental/differential backups. Acronis True Image is widely recommended and will do same but you have to buy it.

Keeping a working image means you won't have to reinstall W7. You restore the image. Don't overwrite it and make regular extra images. Some of the extras can be deleted if you start getting short of space on the ext drive.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Thanks all

When I say "the disk that came with the laptop" it is not like previous original windows disk's I have had with computers, it is not covered with a hologram in fact it says BROTHER on it is this just a recovery dick as opposed to the full version of win 7? the laptop is a Medion.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Interesting articles although I cannot say it is very clear to me I do get the gist of it all.

I have downloaded the key finder just in case, hope we don't need it for a while though.

thanks all

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If it is a recovery disk, note that it can only be used ONCE, after that it will not work.

To recovery all serial numbers and codes use Belarc .

For win 7 use http://www.windows7download.com/win7-belarc-advisor-7-2x/ngijclou.html

for all others use http://download.cnet.com/Belarc-Advisor/3000-2094_4-10007277.html

or for more info use www.siw.exe http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

Terry

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Usually all that happens when you insert a recovery DVD is it brings up a menu to ask you what you want to do, Complete Recovery, Repair, Start Normally etc. etc.

If you want to see what's on the DVD that came with the laptop. Holding down the shift key stops it from Autorunning:

Hold down the shift key and put DVD in a pc - keep the shift key held down all the time until DVD drive activity stops - you can now browse the DVD contents and look at the files on it. (this is same as you would stop any CD/DVD from autorunning if you wanted to make a copy or look at files ect.)

Maybe someone with a Medion laptop will post to say what DVD they got with theirs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...