We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless access links

truane
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am trying to find a device that can take an ethernet cable from my cabled router and provide a wifi signal for my home. I don't want a wireless repeater because I don't have wifi at the moment. I need something to convert from cabled LAN to wifi, as it were. Different terms are being used to describe these devices and I can't seem to sort them out. Any makes and models, please?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Would not the easiest be to change your existing router for a wireless one? EG - this one

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Cabled router?

Who is your broadband supplier?

Do you have a fibre optic cable to your modem then cable to router and then able to PC?

or a phone line to router and cable to PC?

Like this post
truane

Likes # 0

My ISP is Plusnet and I have a phone to modem-router, then ethernet to PC's. Yes, one option would be to change the modem-router for a wireless one, but it would need to have at least 2 ethernet ports because our PC's have no wifi and I would need to be absolutely certain that any such replacement would be compatible with Plusnet. I have, in fact, already bought one such a device, but, despite assurances, it turned out to be hard-coded to Tiscali. I have tried hard and soft resets, but to no avail. It will only work into Tiscali.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Your setup is not cable, but ASDL. The router I suggested would be fine and has 4 ethernet ports.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Most routers have 4 ethernet ports. Which model router do you have? Did you get it from Tiscali or buy second hand?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You need an ADSL wireless router Netgear Linksys Dlink are all good make and any of these will work.

google

Like this post
truane

Likes # 0

The Tiscali router I got second-hand. It is a Thomson TG585 V7, which is a model previously supplied by Plusnet and that's why I got it, thinking it would be compatible. I did not bargain on the Tiscali "connection".

I think I had better find out which wireless 4-port router Plusnet is currently supplying and go for that one. Might save a lot of messing around.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'The router I suggested would be fine and has 4 ethernet ports'

As you are not on cable, I should have said the ADSL version of the router in the link would be fine! ( and also has 4 ports)enter link description here

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New Amazon Kindle Fire HD6 and Fire HD7: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room