We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

.jpg after every photo - help please

bessacarr

Likes # 0

Hi

I work on windows XP Home.

I don't know how this has happened but now after every photo's name it has .jpg

It just used to show the name i.e. jack at home.1 jack at home.2 but now they say jack at home.1.jpg

How do I get rid of it as I just like to see the name of the photo. I know I can right click & see if it's jpg or whatever.

Thanks

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 1

I think this way is the same for XP as it is for 7.

Start

Control panel

Folder options

View

Scroll down to hide extensions for known file types, put a check in.

Click on Apply.

Click on OK.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Is this any help ?

1. Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
  2. Click the View tab, and then, under Advanced settings, do one of the following: To hide file extensions, select the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK. To display file extensions, clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box, and then click OK.
Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try going into your Folder Options - View Tab - Scroll down to find Hide Extensions for Known File Types and put a tick in box. - Apply - OK

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

One of the main reasons for displaying the File.suffix is to help you to identify Scam Files, potentially containing Trojans or Viruses.

So when you're on the Net and download Picture.jpg onto your PC. Once on your PC you can see that it really is Picture.jpg.exe and harbours a Virus, which would be released if you clicked on it. The .exe having been hidden.

Like this post
bessacarr

Likes # 0

Wee Eddie

Thanks for info if you download pics from internet. Can I just ask you -

Are you saying that you can tell if the pic contains a virus, if so how please?

Like this post
bessacarr

Likes # 0

Hi

To all who replied I thank you very much. I followed instructions (they are same for XP as for 7) and now I don't see the .jpg after each name. Thanks for help.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

rimorman: If you have "suffixes" enabled/visible, you can see if a file is really what it says it is.

There are many ways of getting a Virus/Trojan onto your PC. Having one Download masquerading as another is just one of them.

For example: If you see a File Named: Simon Cowell & Friends.jpg, and decide to add it to your collection, you could find that it really is: Simon Cowell & Friends.jpg.exe but the .exe is written in white so that you cannot see it.

But if you have "suffixes" enabled/visible, the .exe will be visible to you, on your PC.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......