We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard Drive Problems

RobCharles1981
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi All

one of my hard drives (Sata) is playing up I recently added another Sata Drive and Disconnected the others for safety the new Drive Drive I fitted found out had bad sectors so its going to be rmad.

I connected up the hard drives back up one of the drives wasnt picked up in Windows I checked power connections and data cables ect nothing, the Bios Doesn't pick it up.

I'm wondering could it be a power cable fault?

Thoughts?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Check BIOS sometimes you need to enable some of the SATA ports

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If your computer does not automatically detect your new drive, follow the steps below.

1. Restart your computer. While the computer restarts, run the system setup program (sometimes called BIOS or CMOS setup). This is usually done by pressing a special key, such as DELETE, ESC, or F1 during the startup process.

2. Within the system setup program, instruct the system to auto detect your new drive.

3. Save the settings and exit the setup program. When your computer restarts, it should recognize your new drive

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

It seems my inclin was right it looks like some connections on the cable are duff, I went out and brought a Sata to Molex Connector and the drive is picked up.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Thanks for the feedback - hope all is running well again.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Sometimes we tend to look for the more complicated solutions here. A simple cable replacement has solved the problem.LOL

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Ile be getting replacement psu cables very shortly it's strange this. I tried all combinations still nothing it was left scratching my head !

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow