We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No sound

tonyt1151
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have an HP Pavillion dv6000 series laptop which has suddenly lost its sound. Next to the clock at the bottom of the screen is a speaker icon with a red cross on it which gives me a message saying "no audio output device is installed. If I open device manager there is no line for sound devices. I can only assume the sound device has gone faulty. Could someone tell me if this is likely to be a fairly simple and inexpensive repair or given the age of the laptop (approx 6years old)is it going to be cost ineffective.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I think if you download SIW it should tell you what sound device you have on your computer. Then just a matter of looking for the Makers and downloading the proper driver.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

have you tried a system restore also windows updates can sometimes cause this

Like this post
tonyt1151

Likes # 0

I have downloaded SIW. When I click on sound device none are listed. I have tried a system restore which has made no difference. It now looks increasingly likely that a component has gone pop which presumably will be expensive

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Your sound chip has given up the ghost I think. Try a cheap usb audio external sound from ebay to confirm.

Have a look here

As the lappy is six years old I wouldn't repair it as the cost would be prohibitive in my opinion.

Like this post  
buteman

Likes # 0

Try Services and scroll down to windows audio and make sure it is set to automatic.

Like this post
tonyt1151

Likes # 0

Have looked at services and Windows audio started and set to auto. have ordered USB sound stick to try. Thanks guys for your input. It looks like I may to add a new laptop to Xmas list

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features