We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to get Dell Dimension 4600 BIOS to recognise Second Hard Drive

Shikaree

Likes # 0

In my daughters computer - The original Hard Drive, which I made the Primary Master had the Jumper at Cable Select - First pins. I removed it to Dual Master Two Centre Pins - 5 & 6. The Primary Slave to 3 & 4, the Second Pair from right. Both are Western Digital. The New Hard Drive is 250GB. The original is 80GB. The Bios shows Primary Master - HARD DRIVE - But the Primary Slave shows - OFF.

What do I have to do to to get the Bios to show the Primary Slave as it shows the Primary Master.

Please HELP!

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Set the original drive at master then the new d250GB drive at slave, here is some info here: Jumper settings Unless this is a Dell thing you cannot have dual master hard-drives, one, with the operating system will be the master, all others are slaves.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

In the BIOS try using auto to determine the details of each of the HDD's.

If the BIOS still refuses to recognise the second HDD then try swapping the ends of the IDE cable between the drives - this can be a bit tricky.

and finally - check the power connection to each HDD

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

gengiscant, Jollyjohn,

Thanks, I'll check out all your instructions and advise and come back to you.

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

gengiscant,

Yes, I do have the original 80GB hard Drive that came with the computer as Primary Master and the New Hard Drive 250GB as Primary Slave. The Jumpers Setting are Correct, I have checked it with your LINK and with the Leaflet that came with an earlier WD Hard Drive.

May be because it's a larger hard drive Dell can't recognize it.

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

Jollyjohn

"In the BIOS try using auto to determine the details of each of the HDD's."

I can't find Auto in Dell BIOS.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

OK. Try this,lets see if there is perhaps a fault with the 250GB HDD. Change the jumper setting to master and remove the power cable from your C drive,the 80GB one. Then power on your PC,obviously it will not boot but is the 250GB drive recognized?

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

In the BIOS there will be a section that will list IDE devices, highlight and press enter, this should list the devices attached. It may say "not installed" for the slave drive. Use the Change Option keys to cycle through - usually - Auto, User, Not installed Ensure you SAVE CHANGES and reboot.

Another option - to check the drive - is to set it as master on the second ide channel- unplug your dvd drive and use that cable.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What happened when you did as advised, is the 250GB drive recognized?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

retep888™ has the answer to alter setting in BIOS to on for the primary slave, see your other thread http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4084760/please--please-can-any-one-help-me-to-add-new-hard-drive-to-dell-deminsion-4600/#firstPost

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Have you altered setting in BIOS to ON for the primary slave yet?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers