We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer Monitor problem.

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Son in Law had problems with his computer as the picture would fade away completely or come on again if you left clicked the mouse.

Thinking it was a computer problem I tried another old computer on it and had the same problem.

So that made it a monitor problem. It is an Acer 23" monitor but I don't know the model number.

As soon as you tried to open Menu or get as far as All programs and the picture would fade away.

Now she could get it to work connecting to her work place and I could get it to work in safe mode so not sure if the Monitor is a bin case or someone has been messing with the controls.

She has it in a darkish corner and the light was pretty poor so could not get a good look at it.

It cannot be a driver problem as it would not work properly on the other computer either.

Anybody any ideas as to what I should be looking for or do you think it is scrap.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Obviously a faulty monitor, it looks like a replacement is needed unless you are will to go for the repair option which would, in my opinion, would cost more than a replacement. I have just flogged a 232 for about £60. Having a quick look on Ebay thats about the right price.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

gengiscant

Ok thanks for the info.

It is a pity because it was a really good picture [thats not the word that I was looking for but you know what I mean.]

What gets me is she could connect to her works through remote desktop and it would work fine and using it in safe mode seemed to work Ok that made me thing that one of the kids had been tampering with the settings.

I will probably bring it up to my house and try it on my set up and see what happens.At least I will be able to see what I am doing.

I must admit I never like getting anything from e-bay usually they are getting rid of things for a reason. But will have a look to see what is going.

Another thing is they never ever switched it off,They would switch the computer off and the Monitor would just go into standby as the green light would just change to yellow,So I doubt if that would have helped.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I must admit I never like getting anything from e-bay usually they are getting rid of things for a reason

When I flog things on Ebay it usually means that I haven't been able to sell them elsewhere. Anyway I did not mean you to buy from Ebay,I was just trying to give you an idea of monitor worth should you think a repair was worth it.

Another thing is they never ever switched it off,They would switch the computer off and the Monitor would just go into standby as the green light would just change to yellow,So I doubt if that would have helped.

I have never turned any monitor off, tell a lie, I usually turn off my secondary one if I am not using it,without any ill effect.

You did not mention in your original post that it works fine in safe-mode but would not remote desktop mean that the PC is being viewed via another PC which obviously would have no bearing on the viewed PC's monitor, or have I picked you up wrong? Anyway wouldn't hurt to play around with various settings when you get it hooked up to your PC. If you hook it up as a secondary you will be able to play about with the settings via your main monitor.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

gengiscant

As you can tell I have never had a monitor that has had problems before so not sure what to expect.

Now does that mean I can plug in the other monitor to my system using the normal connections as I am using a hdmi cable on mine[ hope I got that right]

I was just going to disconnect mine and put the other monitor on in its place then try the buttons underneath.[There are 4 push buttons but like i said it was a bit dark and could not see what they did.

Anything else you can think of that I could try just to see if it is a bin case or not.

Not sure what you mean about the work connection.

Sometimes my daughter works from home and connects to her work through her computer. She only has the one monitor and it works doing that so not sure why it should not work with a normal start up.

If I sound as though I am a bit dense it is probably because I am ho ho.

never tried connecting 2 monitors before.

I have to go out now but thanks for all the information anything else you can think of just let me know.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

HAve a play with the buttond on the monitor there may be an Auto setting or a default setting.

also look at the rear to see if there is a rest button (small hole)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Interesting that it comes on with a click and in safe mode. Have you looked at the computer's power options. Has the display been set to off after a very short period?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Disregard above - as you tried another computer.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

There is a hole on the back of it with a padlock with a K embedded on it.

Not a round hole sort of oblong if that's the correct word like an egg only flatter.

Model number if it helps AL2416Wb

I have just brought it home so will give it a try shortly.

Can I plug it into my computer and have two monitors working at the same time.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

k is usually for colour temperature

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok got it working on my computer with no problems,I pressed the auto button on the front so not sure if that did anything or not.

It does seem a bit bright mind you compared to mine but would be expected probably as mine is a MONITOR/T/V

Not figured how to turn the brightness down yet but will have another look.

I take it as it is working on my computer that it should also work on my daughters computer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad