We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

hard drive connection.

alibob

Likes # 0

I have a western digital 40gb HD and usb2.0 to ide &sata 3 in 1 connection cable set. Does anyone know which connections I should use to connect old hard drive to windows 7 laptop so I can check & transfer HD to laptop.Thanks.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

It depends on the type of connections on the old HDD. Is the old drive 2.5" or 3.5" wide. (Laptop or Desktop) If it`s an older IDE drive it will have two rows of pins whereas the SATA drives have smaller L shaped connectors.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

But an External HD USB Case and put in in that. About £20.00

Like this post
alibob

Likes # 0

The hard drive is from an old Dell Dimension desktop, (How do I tell 2.5 from 3.5)? I have already bought a, USB2.0 IDE to Sata cable but it has a lot of different bits & pieces, all I want to know is which one's to use to transfer into laptop (windows 7)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As you are not using a caddy - lay the Harddrive down on something a Cork tablemat or a book will do, but don't put it on anything metal

On the rear of Harddrive are two connectors, 1 for the power and 1 to go to usb in laptop.

Connection 1: wall plug electric socket to Power supply transformer box (that reduces the mains electric), connect transformer to the cable with molex connector for a IDE harddrive (or sata if a sata harddrive) plug into Harddrive. This gives the Harddrive it's own electric supply.

(You can switch it on to test it at this stage if you wish, the Harddrive will slightly hum as disk inside the casing starts to spin round)

Before making Connection 2 Switch off wall plug and take out of electric socket if you did a test powerup

Now you need Connection 2: If out of a Desktop PC the harddrive will be a 3.5 (three and a half inches wide disk inside the casing) find the connector that fits and plug into the harddrive, at the other end of this is your usb to plug into laptop. (There might be two usb plugs at the end - just use one of them and leave the other hanging)

Now you can switch on and away you go, the laptop will find the external hardrive.

Remember to use the 'safely remove hardware' on your laptop before unplugging the usb when you have finished using it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED