We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unwanted member on forum. Spammer?

bob236
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi. I help run a very small website. We get very few new members but over the past few months we've had some join who just posts one message and maybe a link to a commercial website. They always use the 'real name' of Juanita Valdez but a different user name each time and varying email addresses. We had been deleting them. We thought it was an automated spammer but after we altered the joining requirements to include age and occupation, these were filled out with '40 years' and 'accountant'. At the moment we have this potential member on hold in the pending file. Any ideas on who or what this might be? We had our site completed destroyed a couple of years ago by a hacker and don't want to go through that again. Should mention that 'Juanita Valdez' puts her/his location as Los Angeles but the ip address is UK based.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Have a looksee on http://www.stopforumspam.com/ I found several references for that person. You can report and get more help there on how to cope with forum spam.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Probably not much use, but you could try contacting the UK IP address and see if you can report the problem.

Another alternative would be to consider a method of filtering and banning 'Juanita Valdez', which perhaps someone like Simon Jary or the FE might have the answer for you. They seem to cope well with this problem, on this website ?.

Like this post  
bob236

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies. We'll maybe have a go at contacting the IP Address provider sometime. I did check out Yahoo but they seem only to be interested in actual spam. This nob'ead is just trying to register on our site. We've been ignoring his attempts and letting him hang out in the pending file. Maybe he'll get fed up. Is it an automated attempt I wonder?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks