We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unable to open folders in programme.

Camkeith

Likes # 0

I have an Acer Extensa laptop running Windows XP. For as long as I've had this computer, almost four years, I have used a Microsoft Works 2003 software package which includes a simple photo editing programme called Picture It 9. This is a very standard sort of photo programme which is entirely suitable for the simple sort of photography that I do. Suddenly something has changed in the operation of the programme and I am now having difficulty in opening individual picture files. I normally used the “File/Open” command which would bring up a typical root directory. I could then navigate to the folder or file I want to open and click on that. Now what is happening is that the programme will let me navigate the root directory only as far as showing folders but will not allow any folder to be opened. If I click on a folder to try and open it I simply get a message stating “Couldn't Open Folder...”. It sometimes gives the folder name incorrectly or even as a series of weird almost Japanese style symbols. This applies to any drives that have folders whether it is the C Drive or external USB sticks or external drives. If there are any pictures on the drives that are not in separate folders and just stored individually outside of a folder the programme will open these. I have other similar programmes on the computer which open photos in the same manner and these work perfectly normally in the usual way I would expect. So the problem seems to be with how this particular programme is operating. I'm wondering if I should uninstall the programme and re-install it. I am not aware of any changes I have made to how folders open and I am completely mystified as to why this problem has suddenly started to occur. I would be very interested to hear from any forum members who might have suggestions.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

A possibility is that a Windows Update may have caused this. Have you downloaded/installed any recent Windows Update for MS Works? If so I would try a system restore to a time before this update.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance