We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Please Advise ... Install XP Pro connected to Broadband or unplugged from Broadband

Shikaree

Likes # 0

I have reinstall XP Pro to my daughter's Dell computer and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to install it disconnected to the Internet.

Please advise.

Thanks

Shikaree

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I think it will take the same length of time however you do it. If you install without the internet connected the initial installation will be short but then you have to download all the updates afterwards and activate it afterwards. If you have the internet connected when you install you will be prompted to download the updates and activate on completion. There is a small risk when installing while connected in that the anti-virus will not be installed and no fire wall working, but this is a very small risk. For a simple procedure Click Here

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Leave it disconnected until set-up or it will start to look for updates and the install will last forever. Install updates afterwards. When all installed make a full backup to an external drive with something like Acronis on Amazon (paid for) or Easeus Todo Todo free(free software). This will take a snapshot of the system with all the updates and make it really easy to re-install if you have to in the future. Do it again when you have installed all the programs that will be regularly used and you will then have the option of going back to that state in a very short space of time if necessary.

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

chub_tor, Thanks for your prompt reply. My daughters has been plagued with Trojans and I have to Format her Hard Drive. That's why I was a bit scared what to do.

Thanks for the LINK.

canarieslover, Thanks for your prompt reply too. I have a CLICKFREE Backup External Hard Drive.

On my computer I usually Clone the hard Drive from time to time. This is my daughter's Dell Computer.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Leave it connected then it will detect connection and activate automatically, it won't do updates until it has finished, I always install XP this way.

Like this post
Shikaree

Likes # 0

Thanks Strawballs, for your advise.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK