We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

FF6 & 7 has problems viewing web pages

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Windows 7 - FF7 - IE9

I have a new PC only 2-3 months old, but I dont think the current problem I'm having is anything to do with that.

I've been using FF for a couple of years, as my main browser and I've never experienced any problems such as those I was getting with FF6 and now I'm now getting using FF7 with W7. However, although initially I thought my problem was with W7, I am now sure it isn't.

Because I tried my other browser IE9 and have no problem. That's when I decided to update to FF7 but it's still the same.

I'm stumped, so here's a link showing a web page using IE9, notice the headers for each of the 6 middle sections...Click Here

This is with FF7, compare the same sections...Click Here You'll notice how the lines of type are jumbled together? On some websites images/photos are displaced.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

I don't think it's a Trojan in my case as I have SAS and Malwarebytes running all the time and doing full scans overnight, together with Microsoft Essentials and more, also I have no problems with IE9 except I can't get my favourite addons etc

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Muergo

You say..."I don't think it's a Trojan in my case as I have SAS and Malwarebytes running all the time" and Microsoft Essentials.

I too run both of these, however, neither MalwareBytes (MBAM) or SAS run all the time (in real time, as it were). you have to do manual scans. Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) runs all the time, but let me tell you something about the security on my PC.

When I got it, 3 months ago, it was brand new and came pre-installed with MSE. Not knowing anything about that protection ware I came to PCA for advice. In all the years I have used PC's I have tried and tested many different security softwares.

My choice of protection was AVAST anti virus, SpywareTerminator and SpywareBlaster all three are free and give real time protection. I backed these up with the occassional scan from MBAM - Search & Destroy - IO Bit Malware Fighter. In the past ten years, with these watching my back. I never had any major problems and never got a Trojan.

The advice I was given on PCA was...run MSE & SAS, ditch the others. When my New PC started acting up I brought in the big guns I did a full system scan with each of these...

MaCafee Stinger

SpywareTerminator

Search & Destroy

IO Bit Malware Fighter

AVAST anti virus

MBAM

TDSS KILLER (Kaspersky)

Between them, this lot found over 30 viruses and 10 Trojan's. My question is what was MSE doing while Rome burned?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe try with Tea timer switched off in Search & Destroy.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Notice that you are still posting bad Sites.I would assume that maybe that is where your problem is.

This one from 3.46pm

http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/klit.startnow.com

You cannot keep going into potentially bad sites and not expect to get some problems.

You have Avast Web Rep I would add WOT and use both, They are not perfect but better than none.I use both.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

My Malwarebytes and SAS run all the time Graphicool, because I paid for the upgrades, sorry didn't mention that.

MSE runs all the time as well.

I had to go into Malwarebytes to see the logs because it doesn't tell you when it has found something, just quarantines it and then you have to look see if to keep or erase.

As I said in another thread, I found WOT to be overkill and deleted it, several perfectly good sites such as "Daily Telegraph" and my BMW owners forum were highlighted as unsafe.

I did have Panda and Avast but they clashed, so didn't renew Panda but now I'm reminded I'll put Avast back on.

Others on this forum don't use any paid for protection and have no troubles it seems with just using the basic free versions.

I couldn't get on with Search&Destroy, the TeaTime bit had me flummoxed.

My only problem with my six month old PC is this firefox graphics/photos and as it works fine with IE, even IE running on a Firefox page, some come up, for example on the Main page of an e-bay list or grid, all the photos show, but selecting one to look at on its own then loses the photo. Most peculiar.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Buteman

Using your link I attempted to download WOT!...FF blocked the download, I over-rode the block. However, although it went through the motions of downloading it ended up saying..."the add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure on addons.mozilla.org"

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Sorry made mistake again, in last post AntiVir is the program I used not Avast

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Well I'll be blowed, installing AntiVir it tells me at the end that it's incompatible with Microsoft Security Essentials and i must uninstall it. Not doing that, will ask AntiVir Gmbh what the snag is.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Buteman

Re-"klit.startnow.com" It was a fake search engine posing as Yahoo on my PC in FF.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I think you need WOT for .I/E and one for Firefox.

In Firefox you can usually download it from add-ons.

Without having to go back and check them all You do have compatibility mode ticked under Tools in I/E.

Muergo

It is not advisable to have 2 anti virus programs running and MSE is probably stopping it because of that..

A big update to the Spyware part of MSE tomorrow so make sure you update it.

I know when I had MSE running I had to switch off the anti spyware part as it was interfering with the rest of my security programs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback