We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't connect to server?!

tonyB1983
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,

Been using remote access to my server earlier from a client machine fine earlier. After rebooting it to install updates I can no longer access the server files or remote access it. I can see the server listed on the network, but can't access it. When using the server directly however, I can see my client machines fine, so no problems with connectivity that end. Am using a static IP address for the server, so it's not an issue with IP. when running Windows 7 diagnostics it returns saying "It is available but is not responding to connection attempts. A firewall or network security policy on the remote computer might be blocking the connection on port "file and print sharing resource"". But I haven't touched any firewall settings!

I really don't get it! It worked fine earlier, I really hope it's not some update from Microsoft that has caused this. I've not touched anything to do with remote access. I've been fiddling with a GPO for Windows update, but that's all - nothing to do with remote access.

Server is Windows Server 2008 R2, client is Windows 7 Pro (though I've tried using other XP clients and getting the same problem being unable to access the server).

Thanks

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

System Restore

Like this post
tonyB1983

Likes # 0

Restarted the computer once again and disabled / re-enabled the ethernet adaptor fixed it. Really annoyed that I've spent half my morning trying to fix this! Oh well.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...