We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Network Detected

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

Windows 7 64 bit; PCTools free firewall. I have recently installed a new Belkin Share 300 modem / wireless router. It has WPA/WPA2 protection with a different password for desktop and "guests". The Network is a homegroup : Network 3 (I have had 2 previous routers and do not know how to find others - no sign of them in network and sharing).The "problem" is that when I switch on the desktop, the PC Tools firewall comes up with a message: "New Network Detected" "Workgroup" ""Public" together with a MAC address and an IP. I change the "Public" to "Homegroup" and "Apply" and the splash closes . This did not happen with the previous router. Any views?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

In absence of replies I will assume no one has a solution.

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

A bit of a late answer , but this is a problem with the firewall , remove it from the PC , reboot and re-install , that usually sorts it .

Ashley
Like this post  
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Ashrich Thanks. I think you are right. I had downloaded and tried to install the latest PCTools firewall that I have used for a long time. In the end I am using the Windows 7 own firewall and the problem seems gone.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...