We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

outlook error error 623 system could not find phone book entry

wildhouse

Likes # 0

Hi - any help appreciated as Microsoft offer none unless I pay them vast quantities of money (and my software is only a couple of months old)!

I open my emails using Outlook 2010 (on a system using Windows). However, whilst opening one of my email addresses at work today via Talk Talk webmail, having had weeks of prompting me to change my password I stupidly decided I would. I can still access my emails via the Talk Talk page, but this is is not ideal as I like to save them and perhaps forward them from my Outlook address book, however, I can no longer get them in Outlook. I have tried to change my settings to the new password, but I keep getting the error message 623 - system could not find phone book entry. All my research points to remedies for dial-up email and Outlook 2003, but I use broadband (I did try and change the connection as it suggests buy no joy). Talk Talk tell me Microsoft is not always compatible and may have updated, but I know no updates have happened since I got home, and I can still receive emails from the address I didn't change the password to
Thanks in advance for any advice (I don't want to re-configure Outlook as I have had to do this when I first got this computer a couple of months ago and it was a nightmare to do - still haven't been able to access one of my email addresses since then!)

Like this post
wildhouse

Likes # 0

That should read Windows 7!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

As you tried at work I suspect your employers security / servers are causing the problem.

Like this post
wildhouse

Likes # 0

Do you mean something may have happened to my settings that I can't see? Can I do anything about it?

Like this post
wildhouse

Likes # 0

I just changed my passwords again using the Webmail page of Talk Talk and tried again in Outlook, but still get the same message.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I suspect that you have a vpn at work see this MS Support Error 623

Like this post
wildhouse

Likes # 0

Hi. Thanks for the above. I have had a look but my system at home doesn't have the steps shown in the link. I can get to Network but there is no choice for VPN; if I select the option to Connect to a Network, it just tells me I am connected by Network - Internet Access.

I have logged into the email account via web access and strangely there are a couple of the test messages Outlook sent there, so it must be seeing something! Just tried again and it sending the Outlook test message, but I get the message Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Double check all of your settings - outgoing and incoming.

On account settings - more settings and on the advanced tab adjust the server timeout to about 4 and half minutes.

Like this post
wildhouse

Likes # 0

Still no joy. Am using Outlook 2010's search for the email and it can't find it either encrypted or unencrypted. I have had this problem with an old email address when I got my new computer a couple of months ago - Outlook 2010 doesn't seem to like some email addresses. Since I don't use that one anymore I gave up trying, but this is one I use a lot and it would be a nightmare to try and alert everyone to a new email address.

Have just recreated the email address and it found it unencrypted - it has put in the 20 emails I knew were waiting, but it has put them in a separate folder, rather than arriving all together as they used to in Outlook 2007. I will persevere! Thanks for your help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...