We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Would a powerline be better?

Mike_R

Likes # 0

I am having difficulty in connecting my Sony BD570 bluray player by wireless to the internet. Half the time the BD570 cannot find the network. My Netgear DG834G router is in an upstairs room near my desktop and next to a wall, and the BD570 is about 20 feet away downstairs with two walls between. My laptop, though, has no difficuly in picking up a signal when placed near the BD570. When connected, the BD570 shows a signal strength of between 30-60%. I can't think of anything in the house which would interfere with the signal.

What I am wondering is whether I would get a better connection to the BD570 via a powerline such as the Netgear XAV2501? My house was built in 1974 and has not been rewired. Upstairs and downstairs are on a separate ring circuit.

Another option would be to move the router to downstairs and drill through a wall for the router cable. This would reduce the distance to around 10 feet but there would still be one wall in the way, plus I would have to hang a router on a wall, if a suitable one can be bought. Or make or procure a stand.

Like this post
Mike_R

Likes # 0

Just realised that the signal has to go through three walls, not two, and moving the router would still place it two walls away from the BD570.

Like this post
Tim1964

Likes # 0

I would bite the bullet and go for a homeplug/powerline solution.

Go for the fastest ones for your budget, at least a pair of 200Mbps.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

As long as the two ringmains are off the same consumer unit, you should be OK. My wiring setup is the same as yours, and homeplugs have been the perfect solution.

Like this post
Mike_R

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone. I will go for it.

Like this post
Mike_R

Likes # 0

Netgear XAV2501 powerline installed and working. Thanks again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...