We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Security Scam ???

Mike
Resolved

Likes # 0

Today I received a phone call from someone who said he represented "The Global Maintenance Department of Microsoft".

The reason he gave me for the call was that my computer had been sending error messages to Microsoft and he could help me with my problem. To prove who he was he said that Microsoft were the only people who knew my CLS ID. and he would ask me to key in some information that would display my computers CIS ID. this he would read out to me, confirming his identity.

Eventually I got him to give me the CLS ID. and call me back tomorrow.

I keyed the number into the registry but couldn't find it.

Do you think this is a scam to sell me anti malware or what !!!!?????

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Well known scam

he would ask me to key in some information what did he ask you to key in?

Hope you haven't allowed remote access :0(

CLSIDs are used by Windows to identify software components without having to know their "name". They can also be used by software applications to identify a computer, file or other item. Microsoft provides a utility (program) called GUIDGEN.EXE that generates these numbers. They are generated by using the current time, network adapter address (if present) and other items in your computer so that no two numbers will ever be the same.

They now know your network adaptor address.

What sort of security software are you running?

Like this post
Mike

Likes # 0

I think I have the answer at "WhoCallsMe" at this address,

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/02033189416

They all report the same thing.

Thanks.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yes, if they ring again tell them to go forth and mulitply.

They are trying to take Remote control of your pc by conning you to connect to a website and then download Remote control software. They will then tell you all about your 'Serious Errors' (cough cough) and pretend to fix them and get you to sign up to their annual fixer program which will entail you giving them your bank details and parting with money....

Do a google for 'Microsoft Scam phone calls'

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Make sure you antivirus and Antimalware programs are up to date and run them.

There are plenty of good free programs you can use post back if you need further advice on making your machine secure.

Like this post
Mike

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\

I gave him no information what so ever, I just kept asking him for proof of who he was, he was quiet forceful and I could see someone giving in to his repeated explanation that he was from Microsoft. At the time no computers were on. I only switched my Mac on to do a search for my question.

What can they do with my network adaptor address, my router is secure, should I change the password?

I run Panda Global Security.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sounds as if you did the right thing.

A Mac wouldn't be sending error message to Microsoft :0)

Like this post
Mike

Likes # 0

Hi lotvic,

Yep a scam I reckoned it was but thought I should shoot of the question to the PC Advisor forum first before the search so see what you all thought about it If anything it will help keep scams in the forefront.

Hey where's the switch to tick, question answered.?

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do