We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop screen problem

rawprawn
Resolved

Likes # 0

My Sony Vaio Laptop (4 1/2 years old) has developed a 3 inch wide vertical stripe about mid screen which is light grey. I have booted in Safe Mode and it is there before anything loads, so I suspect the screen is on it's way out.It isn't too bad when looking at "Light coloured" pages, but ruins photos, videos etc. Has anyone any idea how long the screen might last like this, I don't really want to be buying a new computer just now, and I suspect a laptop screen is not worth replacing

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

New screen will cost approx £75 if you fit it yourself not too hard a job lots of videos on Youtube.

In the process of doing a dell for my sister at the moment [niece did a backward somersault on to it :0)]

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ I may try that. I will see if I can find a screen.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

OK I have found a screen

It also gives instructions for fitting. Is it so easy? and is there anything I should watch out for? For example they show you how to take out the old screen, but screws etc are not really the same as on my machine. I would be venturing into the unknown, so I am wary.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Hardest part is finding the screws and not scratching the surround when trying to prise off screw caps :0)

Sometimes there are more screws holing the screen onto a bracket in the lid.

just be careful detaching the screen cables, easy if plugs, harder if a ribbon cable you do not want to rip it.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

*Fruit Bat /\0/* Thanks for the advice, I think I will have a go.

Like this post  
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

£110 is a bit steep.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nbsbnoss?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=vaio+screen&x=16&y=17

If not sure which screen:

Use SIW to find your monitor type and ID number. Google the ID to see if CCFL or LED if not sure/haven't opened the screen housing yet. Inverter means CCFL.

Be sure you know screen size and resolution.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

SIW

Jeez, links

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...