We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Virginmedia Netgear Modem/Router

Large JD

Likes # 0

Hi there,

Following the failure of my very old Webstar Modem, i'm about to install the above new wireless router (VMDG 280)

My current set up is this: Virgin cable connected Webstar modem which is upstairs(broadband cable comes in from the loft). Webstar modem is then connected to my Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router F5D8230-4. My Desktop and printer is wired to the Belkin, my Laptop which is generally used downstairs is connected wirelessly to Belkin. I also have an Xbox downstairs that is wired via a Lea branded 200mbps netplug through to the Belkin upstairs.

My first question is this: Is the new Netgear modem/routers wireless capabilities any better than my Belkin?

My second question is will my new intended setup work: My intended new set up is this: Replace my old Webstar modem with the new Netgear, keeping it upstairs. Relocate the Belkin downstairs and connect it to the Netgear via the netplug (giving me a 4 port router so i can also connect the PS3 wired). Then depending on the answer to my first question, i will either use the Belkin as the wireless connection to my network or the Netgear.

Any help or advice on setting up the best network would be great.

Thanks in advance

LargeJD

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If you're happy with the performance of your Belkin router then you can plug it into the new Modem/Router's LAN port and continue to connect through it. Locate it wherever you want. One problem though, computers connected to the different routers will be in different Subnets (IP address ranges) and therefore unable to communicate for "File & Printer Sharing", if that is a requirement.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers