We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Un responsive Computer!!

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

For the past week or so, I have had problems with a computer, and browsers and webpages becoming slow or giving error messages. Trying Microsoft Fix-It the whole system froze. Tried to do an XP repair with nil results, so did a full format. All seemed well until I tried to do updates,Avast Ok, connection to internet Ok, then on reboot, goes as far as the XP motif and then shutdown, with repeating events.

Trying now to boot with the original XP disk, so as to try a repair or reformat, and the computer will not boot from disk. Previously the computer use to ask 'Boot from disk-None' and went into start mode. Now no message.

I hope that I have explained okay. Any help would be appreciated, so as to get the computer working again..

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Have you tried repair in Safe Mode?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Nontek, I do not seem to be able to do anything with the computer, unless I catch it right at start-up, and I can then go into the bios?.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

tap F8 during boot and select last know good configuration from the menu or safemode.

will it boot into either?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat, I have tried the F8 key and nearly everything else. Nothing happens, except for the system to ignore and not respond to human commands.

One thing that I have noticed since this problem started. The green light on starting the computer comes on, then starts to go into constant 'blink/flicking' mode. The red light for hard drive activity flickers then remains stationary, while the system is deciding on what its going to do. Didn't seem to do this previously. If that makes any sense?.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Does the hard drive show in bios? Can you place the drive in a caddy and use a hdd manager to check it for errors?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Make / model?

Anything in the manual regarding fault codes from the led?

Sounds as if it is having trouble booting, possible HDD problems or PSU not powering HDD /DVD, may be that's why will not bot from CD.

Does DVD drive open close / spin disc?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

This is not a software issue, this is a hardware fault which unless you have spares of components can be tricky to pin down. Could start by removing ram giving the points a clean then reinserting, then try again to install windows, also another HDD might be worth a try. Make sure all cables are seated correctly.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It mayb be a Faulty Hard Drive, Do a scan of the Drive for faults

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

As with rdave13 - suspicious of HDD.

Time consuming but perhaps worth a try - RAM fault?

If you have more than one stick of RAM, you could try removing all but one and play with substituting with another, and also its position

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Make/Model-- None, self build,upgraded as time allowed. No manuals. Hard drive shows in bios, including normal working temperature. Would be difficult to put in caddy. Ram totals 2x5?? sticks (PC133) PSU recent replacement. Appears Ok!. Could test though!.

I have a couple of spare hard drives. One as W7 which I do not have code for yet. So possible HD exchange?.

Hope the above information helps. And thanks for all the advice offered. Very much appreciated.

Still cannot understand why I was able to attempt repair, then format yesterday, and all seemed Ok, then suddenly 'No boot from disk command'and computer would no longer receive commands. All that seemed to point to a software problem/conflict?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad