We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Change partitions.

rincewind66
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have just had my laptop back from being repaired. They put in a new-hard drive but have made a mistake with the partitions. So when I tried to reinstall my backed up files there wasn't enough room. My C drive has 97.7GB with 73.2 free and my D drive is 483GB with 475 free. How can i put this right? I am running windows 7 64bit

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Shrink (resize) D, Move it to the end of the disk space, and expand C.

You can do this with Windows Disk Management (right click Computer/My Computer icon) Manage/Disk Management.

Right click the relevant partition for options.

If WDM gives you any hassle, use Partition Wizard

Like this post  
rincewind66

Likes # 0

Thanks for quick reply. Unfortunately I have tried both methods without success. I can resize D but neither method will let me enlarge C. I don't know if this means anything or not but C says primary and D says logical. I also have 2 hidden partitions. 1 says 'system reserved and the other is the OEM partition. Both these are primary.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 1

D is a logical drive therefore it will be contained within an Extended Partition. You will need to shrink this extended partition as well to give space to expand C.

Don t worry about the 2 hidden partitions and dont be tempted to delete them they will be used for system recovery.

Personally I would make C just big enough to restore your files and then use D to store all my data. This will protect your data should you need to reinstall Windows at any time.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 1

Is there 'unallocated' space to the right of C? It needs that to expand into.

If another partition is 'hard up' against C, you need to move it out of the way.

Another possibility is that trying these operations while Windows is running is causing the problem (although Partition Wizard usually detects that and offers to reboot and do it)

Try Partition Wizard Bootable CD (same page as above link).

Download the iso and burn to CD/DVD using Imgburn. Boot from it and try again.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Don't forget to click the 'Apply' button after setting up an operation.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Jollyjohns comments are very valid, my omission.

Like this post
rincewind66

Likes # 0

Thanks to both of you. It's all sorted, just glad I didn't have to send it back for the 3rd time. How do you mark this as solved?

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

robinofloxley - I was thinking the very same about your comments, especially the position of D.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Mark as solved?

Click on the tick which provided the answer (your latest will do) this should turn green "before your very eyes"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded