We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

scrabble will not work on Windows 7

gerryp25

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, about 10 years ago I bought a Scrabble game which was on 2 floppy discs from Virgin. I first used it on ME with no problems, I upgraded my computer to XP, again the programme downloaded with no problem. I then bought a desktop which had Win 7 starter, again no problems.( I had to buy a USB floppy disc drive ) Eventually I bought a new desktop which had Win 7 full home edition installed. When I try to install the scrabble it said it couldn't operate on this system, seeing that this game is my wife's favourite game I am in the doghouse until I can get it working. I can't understand why it works on the notebook but not on the desktop. Can anyone come up with any suggestions, I would buy another prgramme but cannot find one for Win 7. Thanks for any help

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

How to install older software in Compatibility Mode

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

we have scrabble running on 2 win 7 systems. an old version installed by opening the disc then installing as Administrator

Like this post
gerryp25

Likes # 0

Hi to both members who tried to help me but neither helped. I tried the Compatability mode, I followed the instructions ' Place the applications installation file on the Desktop'. When I opened the disc I found 2 applications-( setup-application-51kb, and scrabble 205 kb).don't know if I followed the instructions correctly but I sent both these applictaions as copies I get the message compatabilty problem with the (setup file ) and with the scabble file I get the message ( windows cannot find A:\scrabble.exe) check you typed it correctly), now the scrabble.exe came from the disc directly so that wasn't typed at all. In a bit of a mess at the moment, you can probably see I am not exactly an expert in the computer world being an OAP, so if both northumbria61 and sharpamat could possibly give me more information on their respective methods I would be most grateful ( please spell it out for the OAP thicko) Thanks for yur help up to now

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

The information in the disc to enable installation will tell your computer it is on Disc A so copying to your desk top will not alter this

Try putting the Disc in the drive, Open It and highlight the setup, then right button on your mouse and select Run as Administrator To use the Program Compatibility Wizard open it and follow the prompts,at each stage select what you want it to do, and at the end you will be able to save your setting. As you have this on a floppy dont forget that most modern computers do not have a floppy drive so select it manually by the prompts As for OAPs some of us already are

Like this post
gerryp25

Likes # 0

Hi sharpamat, did what you suggested with the setup file but got the message that the file was not compatible with my version of Windows. I think the time has come to call it a day and stop wasting your time. Thanks for trying, have you any idea where I might be able to buy a more recent version?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

There are lots of online Scrabble sites. Some I think you don't have to play against others if you don't want.

Might be fun to try. (beware: online games can be very addictive!)

Sorry I don't know the best sites or game to buy.

Links

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

Just guessing, but would suggest that your program, due to its age , is 16bit. If your Win7 starter machine is 32bit, then it will run. If your Home Premium desktop is 64bit then it won't.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I had an idea last night (not tested)

I believe Linux/Wine will run Windows 16 bit apps.

Linux Pinguy in particular automatically launches Wine when you click on a .exe???

Although other Linux distributions will also run Wine. May take a bit of faffing.

Why not burn Pinguy to CD and boot and try? Or use VMWare to run it in Windows?

Just an idea.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination