We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

facebook query

johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

i was visiting a friend today who is on facebook as am i, the problem is on her xp home there is no sign in option for chat etc whereas on my xp pro i do have the facility, any ideas?

johnny

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

To make yourself unavailable for both chat and video calling, click in the bottom right corner of the messaging sidebar. Then uncheck Available to Chat.

You will still be able to see the sidebar even if you’re unavailable to chat. To hide the sidebar, select Hide Sidebar from the same actions menu.

To make yourself available to chat again, return to the actions menu and select Available to Chat, or just click on a friend in your sidebar to start chatting.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

To start a chat, click the name of the friend you want to chat with in the right sidebar of any Facebook page. If you don't see the person you want to chat with there, you can type their name into the search box at the bottom of the sidebar. If you don't see the sidebar, click Chat at the bottom right of the page.

Once you open a chat window, just type your message and press Enter or Return on your keyboard.

How you know a friend is available to chat:

Friends with a next to their names are available to chat
Friends with no icon next to their names are unavailable
Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

my thanks for your efforts, unfortunately the facility in your first suggestion is no available on their machine but is on mine! my facebook page works ok on her machine hence the puzzle

johnny

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'