We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

what type of router to replace old bt voyager 105 usb adsl modem on aol ? (newbie)

johnnyd473

Likes # 0

Hi there,

i want to replace my old bt voyager 105 usb adsl modem (on aol) with a wired router so i can run more things at once, like pc, xbox etc. but im not technical and dont have a clue what wired router would be suitable.

please can you help me out ? its important that i get a wired router as opposed to wireless,

many thanks in advance.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Wireless routers are wired routers with a wireless facility as well, so any router would fit the bill. Most have 4 ethernet ports, but check the specs before you commit. The choice is vast, and a lot depends on how much you want to spend. A recent Which report found the Linksys to be OK. I've also used Netgear and Thompson without problems.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Ask AOL for one, they will probably charge postage and get you to sign for another year. This will be the cheapest way to get a router and if you should have any connection issues you will get help from AOL as it is their router.

Like this post
johnnyd473

Likes # 0

im specifically after a wired router as im concerned about the possible health impact of wireless technology and i want to reduce my exposure to microwave tech. thank you for your input i do appreciatte it.

would this wired router be ok for me ?

http://www.storagedepot.co.uk/Networking-and-CCTV/sc895/p262.aspx

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Yes it will be fine but if you have any connection issue then AOL will refer you to the router manufacturer who will refer you to AOL....................... You can switch off the wireless capability of the router AOL supply.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

*health impact of wireless technology *

'Wireless' i.e. radio waves have been around for years.

Didn't you know?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Wireless routers are not the same as the emmisions you get from a mobile phone clamped to your ear for hours at a time.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Isn't AOL now part of the TalkTalk group, because if it is, then it might be on an LLU exchange arrangement.

I was reading an article recently about LLU and routers most suitable for that, because some routers while being compatible are not always the best. The article techies 'tested' a variety of well known makes, and came up with a surprising conclusion.

Not sure now, but the particular article might have been via either Think Broadband, Broadband Choices or Kitz. If I find the article, I will give further link details.

If you are looking into broadband, then there is some interesting information here http://www.kitz.co.uk/sites/site_index.htm

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room