We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC wont boot properly

baries

Likes # 0

I have a five year old computer and its devloped a problem. When I boot up it starts ( blue lights come on ) then it goes bee beep ( QUICK) and beep beep;(quick) ,,, beep beep. beep beep; - and all stops. The monitor is blank. If I press the on button I get " no signal input". What could be wrong? Is it fixable? Should I get someone out or just get a new computer?

Its a Cougar. Recommended by PC advisor people at the time. I cant tell you exactly what the spec is as I have long forgotten ( besides I havent a clue about computers really).

Thnaks for any information

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

How To Troubleshoot Beep Codes http://pcsupport.about.com/od/nonworkingcomponent/ht/beepcodestb.htm will give you more info and help you decide whether to attempt to do it yourself or get someone to look at it

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

My first port of call would be to Un plug the PC, open the case, blow out all the dust, re-seat the RAM and the Graphics Card, and then Plug in the power and try to re-boot.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

As you have access to another PC and if you are worried about doing the above jobs.

Go onto YouTube, search for 'Install RAM' or 'Install Graphics Card' and you'll find short movies showing you how to do it. Makes life easier. Just remember to unplug the PC.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Usually when a machine beeps and will not work its down to memory or graphics cards.

Its possible that one has failed and needs replacing .

However it is also possible that one has worked loose (happens because the computer heats up when on and cools down when off) and you just have a bad connection. if you switch every thing off and open the case you can reseat the memory modules like this and graphics card as follows

1. Turn off the power and REMOVE the power plug.
  2. Open the case and find your graphics card.
  3. Before touching the graphics card touch the other hand to the metal case to GROUND yourself.
  4. Remove the screw holding the card in place ( usually on the rear frame )
  5. Gently rock the card end to end until it releases completely.
  6. Reinsert the card with gentle but firm pressure until it seats completely.
  7. Put the holding screw back in.
  8. Put the case cover back on.
  9. Plug in the power cord
  10. Turn on the computer.

Video here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks