We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I can't see my files!

poodle1977

Likes # 0

First off I will just say that my technical computing knowledge is very limited. I shut down the PC as normal last night (running Windows Vista Home Premium SP2) but this morning when I started it up, after the 'welcome' screen I got the message 'preparing desktop'. I then noticed that all settings appeared to be reset and all files appeared to be missing.
However, when I search for files by name, they still appear and I can still access them but they don't show in the folder, even if I save them again? I can actually view and access the folders by going to 'recent items' then right clicking on a file, viewing properties and opening folder location but I can't do it by the normal start/documents etc path? Any ideas what may have happened and how I can rectify the problem?

Like this post
poodle1977

Likes # 0

Just tried right click/properties on my documents folder (one of the affected folders) and the target location is C:\Users\TEMP.username-PC.000\Documents. Is this how it should be?

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

On XP, the extention .000 usually means that the operating systems has been installed twice on the same drive to to show the difference the second version is marked as .000.

Can you go to the Control panel and check users, as someone else may be logging into your system (hacker?), if there is an unauthorised user, you will need to make sure your account is an Administrator and put a password on it, then restrict the other one to Limited (or whatever Vista calls it),If you delete the user you risk making all your files un-accessable, also goto RUN, type in MSCONFIG (enter) and check boot paths. Depending on what you find to what you do next. keep us informed.

Terry

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

your user profile has become corrupted.

first try a reboot and see if it recovers to as it was yesterday.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback