We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP expired - Linux an option ?

pipfan

Likes # 0

Hi

Recently bought a second hand PC, but looks like the license activation period has expired, so looks like the Windows XP installed on the PC is unusable.

I don't have access to an installation disk (altough I do have another computer running XP !), but was wondering whether installing Linux might be option to get the PC working.

Have no knowledge at all about OS's but any advice about whether Linux / Ubunthu would be of use or is any good would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Pip

Like this post
pipfan

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone - some solid, well informed advice as always from this community.

This PC will be a second machine (main PC has Vista) used pretty much only for internet as I'm studying for a degree, so it's mainly for that.

Think then I'll be brave and give Linux a go. Now if anyone has any advice on which 'flavour' - csqwared, Mint noted and I'm off to have a look at the now - I'd be grateful to hear. Also - presume it's easy to actually perform the instalation ??

Thanks again

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

I did post a link in my earlier post that will I think answer most of your questions and will take you step by step though how to use Ubuntu, here is the link again in case you missed it:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

By the way, you can run Linux from the CD to try it before you install it which is quite nice, it gives you a chance to try it first, it will not be as fast as running it on the hard drive as it runs from memory, all the Linux distributions let you do this, you can even run it from a USB stick if you want.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Pinguy gets some good write ups.

You may be able to re-arm XP 3 times (total 120 days). See Post 6 here. But of course that just delays the inevitable.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

pipfan

I'm glad you've made the choice of Linux and wish you well with the OS.

I could not, for the life of me, get wireless connection with Ubunu, but I'm not good with trying to get thing to work when it only takes drivers, and I only was half heartedly trying, to be honest. I shall keep my offer of XP for someone else.

Like this post
pipfan

Likes # 0

rdave13 - actually, I'd like to take you up on your offer of XP if it's still open. I am notoriously terrible at getting anything tech to work as intended and so my chances of making an entirely new OS work as planned are probably somewhere south of 10%. All good intentions, but will prob end up back on XP !!

If your kind offer is open, my email address is pipfan@hotmail.co.uk to sort out payment etc

Many thanks in advance

P

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Hopefully the mod will delete your last post. NEVER post your email addy on a forum. To make safe-ish then click the link at the top of the thread " Contact Forum Editor" to ask to delete your last post.

I will contact you via email.

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

rdave13

I'm not sure if this is relevant to your problem of getting your wireless connection working with your Linux setup, but there is a known problem with the BT HomeHub 2 and dual booting Windows/Linux machines. Something to do with the BT HomeHub 2 not allowing the IP address to be used for more than one computer. BT aim to solve the problem by the end of 2011, but it has been evident for about a year already!

Peter.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Which distribution (distro) to try would depend a lot on the hardware specification and capability.

Ubuntu needs fairly decent (though not excessive) hardware requirements and you haven't said what sort of specification your laptop has.

I have to say, I like Linux Mint for new users. Very Windows like in operation, makes the transition easier. As it is based on Ubuntu, which in turn is based on Debian, it also needs decent hardware to run acceptably.

SuSE is also a superb enterprise grade distro and not talked about very much. But it's underrated and makes a good choice.

All of the above are not for ancient machines and will need an absolute minimum of:

1GB CPU Pentium 4 or better 512MB of RAM 5GB of hard drive space Graphics capability of at least 800x600 CD/DVD drive or capable of being booted from a USB stick.

There are also Ubuntu derivatives that can run on lesser hardware - Xubunu for example, but it may still be a bit clunky.

So way below Windows 7 requirements, but still decent hardware.

If you don't have that, Linux can still oblige. Puppy Linux is a well supported and capable distro, that is designed to run on much lesser systems and some distros believe it or not, can run from a floppy. With many thousands of distros to choose from, there's something for everyone and you can't argue with the price!

Any of the above would suit you well and at the end of the day, you can simply try them and see which you prefer.

If you want to know more about the basics of Linux, here is an article I wrote a while back, which by now is dated, but still in the main relevant to what you want to do. And another here which you may find helpful.

Most of all, don't be frightened of it. There's a few of us here that monitor Linux threads and will be happy to help if we can.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded