We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Live Hotmail

March Wind

Likes # 0

I have found out when receiving and sending mail it goes into two hotmail and Windows Live. I would like to know for sure how do I view both and how would I know which one I was in? also I would like to delete a name that is at the side of the mail box. I have done it once how? I click left and right button on the name but there isn't a delete button. I know how to delete from my contacts but I want to delete from my list of names that cum in line with my In. Out Delete column

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Are you on the Hotmail Inbox page? Is it a folder? if so then hover your cursor on 'Folders' and left click on the spikey circle (cogwheel) next to 'Folders' and then leftclick on 'manage folders' on the menu that pops up and the list of your folders will appear on the righthand side. There will be a little square box next to the folders that you can alter. Select (Put a green tick in the box) the folder that you want to do something with and then you can delete a folder by clicking on 'Delete' that is on the menu just above the list of folders (New, Rename, Delete)

If it is anything else then you will have to have a look at your 'Options' (top right corner of page under your name)and click on 'Options' and then click on 'More Options' as there are so many ways to configure privacy and what is displayed it is impossible to guess what you mean without more specific details.

Like this post
March Wind

Likes # 0

Lotvic. You did a grand job working out what I wanted as far as deleting one of my folders. Thank you very much I have now deleted one.

How do I know if I am in hot mail or Windows Live? How can I delete from both Hot mail and Windows Live, In and Out going mail?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As far as I know they are the same thing 'Windows Live Hotmail'

There are different webpage ways to sign in but they still take you to 'Windows Live Hotmail' if you are using your browser (Internet Explorer or Firefox etc)

or have you also downloaded 'Window Live Mail' onto your pc? and are collecting in that as well?

Like this post
March Wind

Likes # 0

I don't know. I do have Enternet Explorer

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you look at the top left it will say what program it is.

It sounds as if someone else has set the computer up for you and hasn't given you all the info about your email that you need.

Read my thread http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4081029/windows-live-hotmail-server-doesnt-delete-pop-email-until-you-change-settings/ that might be what you are experiencing. (I use Outlook Express but if you are on W7 you prob have Windows Mail)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

When you have had a look to see what email program(s) you have been using it will be easier for people to help with advice. (It's a bit hard trying to guess)

Like this post
March Wind

Likes # 0

Upon opening folder 'POP', I get:

"What's in this folder? These are the messages that you downloaded to another program using POP. If you'd like downloaded messages to be permanently deleted, you can change your settings "

I find I have hundreds of emails there that I thought had been deleted.

I am not sure what you are talking about. I don't want to download message to be permanently deleted Hundreds of email that you thought had been deleted. Then maybe I have too. How can I find out, How do I open up POP, What do I have to click on next to see if I have old emails?

When I posted this thread I was on my Laptop using Windows 7. This is when I noticed my mail was going into two different places and where I found emails that I thought I had deleted a year ago. I am now using my D/top which is XP. It is different again. I go into my hotmail email but this time it looks different I cannot see where it goes into two different (folders?). I would have thought XP or Windows7 when using my hotmail account things should all be the same. Sorry if I am not making myself clear as I am confused with it all. In the top right corner it says

Windows Live, Hotmail, Windows Messenger Skydive. I am not sure what I am in. Maybe I am collecting in Windows Live Mail on my Laptop, as I haven't got it with me at the moment I cannot tell you if it say Windows Live Mail

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Please post again when you have sorted out which programs you are using. Only you know how you've set up your email accounts in each program.

You will get duplicates if your mail is on the server and then you collect it on Desktop in two programs. You will then get it duplicated again when you collect it on your laptop. The server will deliver the emails it has to whatever programs you ask to collect. At the moment it is seems you are using a mix of webmail and email clients on your pc and another on your laptop.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do