We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Table lamp disconnects USB mouse and keyboard

Chelonian

Likes # 0

My table lamp (11W 240V PL-11 fluorescent tube) often disconnects my USB mouse and USB keyboard when the lamp is switched on. Unplugging and re-plugging both USB devices rectifies the problem until the next time.

Any suggestions as to what the problem is?

Thanks!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Sounds like a possible 'short' in the table-lamp wiring, though I have never heard of this sort of thing before, so just a guess!

Maybe lamp is too close to PC.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Move the Table Lamp.

About 1 metre should do the trick.

Like this post
vs6gyrob

Likes # 0

sounds like R.F interference (swamping) Try -if you can- to get a few ferrite beads to put onto your lamp lead or computer power leads ( You can , if possible , coil the power leads into three or four turns (about 2 to 3 inches diam) Just may work to some degree cheers vs6gyrob

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Make sure plug is earthed if it is meant to be earthed (if no green/yellow in plug it doesn't need it. If a moulded plug you can't tell anyway. Use a multimeter to check continuity from earth pin on plug to any metal part if you see any stickers that say 'This appliance must be earthed')

A different tube manufaturer (more reputable/higher quality), eg Philips, may have lower spurious emissions. Or even just another crappy tube may be different.

Or move the lamp/use another lamp.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Since your keyboard and mouse are happy to work while the lamp is running ("unplugging and re-plugging ... rectifies the problem"), it sounds like it's the starter (built into the tube, I presume) or the on/off switch that's creating the problem. If you switch on the lamp using the switch on its wall socket, with the lamp switch already "on", do you get the same problem? If not, there's something wrong with the lamp's switch; if so, a different bulb, as suggested by robinofloxley, may be the answer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...