We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 search

bahati0ne

Likes # 0

I am running Windows 7 on laptop and have files stored on portable hard drive. This is connected to an iomega server and then to a broadband router. The route is connected to the laptop wirelessly. Problem is Windows 7 search command will not recognise the hard drive and when trying to add it to search locations it does not seem to be available.

Any ideas please?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Why can't you connect it direct to the laptop via a USB cable? Or you could use a USB 2.0 to IDE & SATA Cable.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Also you could use an all in one HDD Dock. I use all three methods as I have many external and ex-internal drives.

Like this post
bahati0ne

Likes # 0

I am too far away and in a different place to the hard drive which is located near a desktop pc. I am using a laptop

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Indexing remote drives looks like a whole can of worms.

I read the 2nd article in full (3 pages) and still none the wiser if spending ages messing around would work.

Maybe a 3rd party util can do it?

I have never liked Windows 7 searching.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow