We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

web cam problem

Boy Zone

Likes # 0

I've recently brought an eyetoy camera to use on Skype. The camera works fine on Windows Live messenger, but when I try to use it on Skype it states "can't start camera and to close the application using the camera. Even if I close Live messenger and open Skype it still asks the same question.

Can I delete Windows Live Messenger from my PC?

I do use Windows Live Mail for sending Emails.

I'm using windows XP home

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

You cannot delete it, but you can stop it from opening - go to Control Panel>Add & Remove Programs then wait until that has finished populating, then in the left hand column you will see Add & Remove Windows Components, click on this and then scroll down to Messenger and remove the tick.

Close Control Panel and then re-boot your computer.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

You cannot delete it, but you can stop it from opening - go to Control Panel>Add & Remove Programs then wait until that has finished populating, then in the left hand column you will see Add & Remove Windows Components, click on this and then scroll down to Messenger and remove the tick.

Close Control Panel and then re-boot your computer.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Ooops, sorry about double post!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Nontek - You are correct about the method but MS calls it uninstalling see MS Support

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

ps Removing Live Messenger may not mean that the camera works with Skype. Have you looked at Skype's options?

Like this post
Boy Zone

Likes # 0

I've done all what you suggested, but unistalling the windows component I don't see Windows Live Messenger, but windows messenger, which I assume is the same. Anyway this was unticked and does'nt open when I start my PC, but Skype still can't open the camera.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

This looks like the answer for you ....

http://www.jacobsen.no/anders/blog/archives/2006/01/05/howtousetheplaystationeyetoyon_windows.html

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Which drivers did you install?

See this eyetoy as webcam.

Like this post
Boy Zone

Likes # 0

sorry to bounce this one back, but I've done all of the suggestions and still can't get eyetoy web camn to work using Skype. It works great with MSN and Yahoo messenger, but its Skype I need to get it to work with.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Does the eyetoy show up at all under Skype's - Tools - Options - Video settings?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks