We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem with USB driven devices

edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Hello

Whenever I try to connect a USB device to my PC, like an external hard drive or a USB card reader, I get the following message.

A USB device connected to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognise it.

When I leave the external hard drive connected, it sometimes fires up and I can view the contents.

The card reader is a brand new name brand card reader, I am leaving it connected, maybe in time it will also fire up, but not yet.

Any clue what the problem is please?

Thank you

Richard

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

By the way I am running Win XP Pro SP3.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

A Card Reader only shows up on screen when a Card is inserted into one of its slots.

Can you see the slots in your My Computer, where Hard drives etc are shown?

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

No the card reader does not show up in my computer with or without the card in. But you may be missing the point, the problem occurs when I plug in a USB external hard drive as well, my PC is not recognising any USB device.

Richard

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

No the card reader does not show up in my computer with or without the card in. But you may be missing the point, the problem occurs when I plug in a USB external hard drive as well, my PC is not recognising any USB device.

Richard

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

OK - that is in fact what I expected you to say, so.....

Go into Devices and expand the USB Ports, then right-click on each USB Port in turn and choose to Uninstall it - do the same with every USB Port. When done, re-start your computer, during the re-start Windows will find the USB Ports and re-install them automatically. They should then work as normal.

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Can I just confirm this with you.

I go into device manager.

And under Universal Serial Bus Controllers I uninstall every device, there are quite a few.

Then re-boot.

Thank you for helping me with this.

Richard

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Yes, confirmed!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Refresh USB Ports Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry http://www.uwe-sieber.de/files/drivecleanup.zip

and if that doesn't work then its probably conflicts from ghost devices

Remove all USB devices

Download and run USB device View

Uninstall ALL devices that are shown as not connected.

Reboot the machine.

Plug in your USB device and windows should then find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for the device.

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

I tried what you said. I started from the top of the installed devices, but then my mouse stopped working and I had to re-boot to get it back.

Here is a screenshot of the installed devices, can you advise please.

enter link description here

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Hello Fruit bat

I will try your ideas when I have exhuasted what nontek has to say, thank you.

Richard

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers