We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

selecting a printer for a Linux machine.

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Having rebuilt an ancient Dell Laptop with a new bare hard drive for a 1st year student and not having a Windows O/S laying around I installed Ubuntu- This works fine- the elephant in the room for her will be printing stuff.

It it is plain to us users that for her to simply rush off and buy a printer will be fraught with driver issues. So what do any of you think is the best advice to offer with regard make/model of printer to look for with Linux drivers available in the system or to down load?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If when you load Linux, You is best to have your printer turned on so it recognizes it, and configures it on Setup. almost any printer will work never had problems using epson printers in linux

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

I have had various Linux distro's installed over the years, hardware support has gradually improved. I would select a range of printers and then use google, multi-function printers can be problematical.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Manufacturers have become more Linux aware recently and most of the mainstream printers now have Linux drivers available. Installing them varies, some being really easy, while others being a little more technical.

However, HP were one of the first to embrace Linux and have had good support for a long time. They actively engaged with the Linux community and aided development for drivers for their printers.

The easiest way is to choose a printer you want to use and then go to the manufacturers website and check if;

a: it's Linux compatible out of the box,

or,

b: Linux drivers are available.

Either way, you'll have some success. It's not half of the problem it once was. I've had success with Samsung, Epson, HP, and Cannon, which is pretty much all the mainstream providers.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Th anbk you all for that one - will investgate what the various makers say.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015