We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

in a mess with w7 restore need advice pleas

sunnystaines
Resolved

Likes # 0

pc has been off a few days, would not boot into windows, system restore would not work nor repair windows and could not find w7 own backup image,

had to reinstall w7 on c drive fresh, still have w7 image backup pre problem on secondary hdd but do not know ow to restore as windows image does not see it.

any advice please as now lost on where to go now

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

If your PC behaves & performs better with the second HDD disconnected then it could be a definite clue that it's the problem.

Tools for all major HDD click here (please scroll down), run the appropriate tool with the HDD connected though.

Like this post  
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

bit late in updates, been in hosp. replaced cmos, disconnected 2nd hdd. now using sleep for ages instead of turning off. will try turn off tonight.

this evening smelt burning, not sure if it was a false smell as i suffer asthma and dust can produce burnt type smells, plus had problems following general anesthetic which could also play up my nose. wife could not smell burning at the pc. opened up case wiped off plenty of dust around the psu and a fan in the base of the case which i had forgotten about, also wiped internal fans, could not smell burning in the case so i presume dust blowing out of the exit fan may caused the smell. will see what a cold start does tomorrow morning. will post tomorrow a normal start hope fully will confirm 2nd hdd was the problem.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

cold start worked ok this morning looks like 2nd hdd was faulty.

thanks all that offered help.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

Glad you're sorted and thanks for the feedback.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

bit late in updates, been in hosp. replaced cmos, disconnected 2nd hdd

God Bless the NHS. Did they fix you as well?

Take care.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

robinofloxley

too early to say if fixed ok, had good nhs service for shoulder impingmeant op, post surgery had breathing problems and a dodgy ECG kept in a further 24 hours till ECG and breathing ok. shoulder still stiff & sore early days still.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund