We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

in a mess with w7 restore need advice pleas

sunnystaines
Resolved

Likes # 0

pc has been off a few days, would not boot into windows, system restore would not work nor repair windows and could not find w7 own backup image,

had to reinstall w7 on c drive fresh, still have w7 image backup pre problem on secondary hdd but do not know ow to restore as windows image does not see it.

any advice please as now lost on where to go now

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

the story moves on, had left computer turned on displaying error screen while i had breakfast.

had another reboot to re try cmd commands via w7 dvd. then as soon as i clicked the repair option before the options came up i had a screen asking if i wanted windows to fix a problem [not had this before] hit enter and booted into w7 ok.

now has it worked because the pc had warmed up? on the first failure pc had been turned off 2 weeks, 2nd fail was after the first overnight switch off following the reinstal. now not sure i want to shut down tonight. anyideas why the starting on cold could cause such a problem? can a failing hdd play up like this i wonder?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

How old is your BIOS battery on the motherboard?

Might be an idea to stick a new one in.

(almost certainly a CR2032, available from supermarkets/PC shops etc).

I would not suspect your HDD at this stage and I dont think you are at any risk of losing anything.

Make another System Image anyway. I stopped using W7 Imaging for various reasons fairly quickly after using W7.

Try Macrium Reflect Free. It is quick and intuitive(ish)

When a reboot doesnt work try booting into BIOS and select the correct boot disk manually, if you dont want to try the DVD repair option or if it doesnt work. I wouldnt worry about powering down tonight, it will be fixable tomorrow if still playing up.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Note: All 3rd party image apps require their own boot CD/DVD. Dont forget to burn one from in the app.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

robinofloxley

thanks its only about 2 years old, self build [msi x59 platnum m/b] just prior to release of w7.

just did a quick restart to push my luck restarted ok but slow to go from bios screen to windows. Always had very fast boot ups before.

i will replace battery this afternoon never had one play up before.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

"still have w7 image backup pre problem on secondary hdd but do not know ow to restore as windows image does not see it."

Windows is hinting you your second HDD is problematic, try booting the PC with this second HDD disconnected first.

It may pass CHKDSK but I'd suggest you downloading the HDD diagnostic tool to scan and if PC won't boot with it connected then use the CD/USB bootable version.

If you're lucky then the tool may fix the error and the window image could be retrieved.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

retep888™

can you recommend any freeware downloads to give the hard drive the once over

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but can you copy and paste the back-up folder to another drive in a caddy? I've been playing with Win 7 image backup (never used it before) and the folder it created on my D drive was named as my PC's name. Unimaginatively I called my PC Home-PC and that was the name of the folder created. Wondering if the hdd you have stored the image on is a bit duff.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

rdave13

tried that but windows image back up could not see it, it could not see the parttion on the secondary hdd where is was either. yet my computer & windows explorer had no problems with it. i have since deleted it tried to format the partiton i use for backups but the option is greyed out via disk management, if i try to format via explorer the format fails.

last night left the computer on was worried about it not starting if turned off and got cold, thinking about replacing the secondary hdd or battery but not had a chance at present.

[w7 now as bad as xp with so many updates and reboots during a clean install]

thank you to all for the continued help

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As for a clean install another forum member posted this for Win 7 iso files with SP1 integrated. Win7 + SP1 .

I've used both Home Premium 32-bit and 64-bit. Installing an SSD drive then finding I needed a new mobo (don't ask :)). At least you'll have less updates to install.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

When formatting partitions or any other operation, options can often be found greyed out.

Use

Partition Wizard (within Windows) or the Bootable CD version if not (a great util anyway)

or

Easeus Partition Manager

or

Paragon Partition Manager

I often find myself using several when playing around. They all seem to have something that requires one of the others.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014