We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

This isn't intuitive to me...

Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I just rebuilt (reinstalled XP) son's computer. What I thought was the sound/audio driver wouldn't install - told me there was no compatible device. So I did some hunting around, and it looked like it needed a Sigmatel driver. Downloaded it, it installed fine, and I got sound from the speakers. I only tested with Windows Media Player though.

Son (who lives away from home) now tells me the audio is all screwed up: in some apps, he's only getting left channel. In other apps, he says it sounds like the sound is coming from underwater. And it turns out the mic doesn't work (I never tested that).

I've done some further research, and I've now convinced myself I've installed the wrong driver. But here's what's not intuitive. I really thought you couldn't do that. If the driver doesn't find appropriate hardware, it just won't install - no? Let alone work somewhat/partially...

The motherboard in question is an Intel D975XDX - and the only thing I can think of is that Intel have used at least enough Sigmatel technology in their audio implementation for the driver to be 'close' - but not close enough.

The driver I've now found - and I don't know how I missed it originally - is the Intel IDT audio driver. I plan to pop round to my son's tomorrow evening and uninstall the 'wrong' driver and try replacing it with this one.

I assume I just uninstall the audio via Device Manager and then install the correct driver? Does anyone have any guidance on that?

And: does anyone have any insight into how it's possible to install the wrong driver?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

*I assume I just uninstall the audio via Device Manager and then install the correct driver?* - Yes.

"does anyone have any insight into how it's possible to install the wrong driver?"

I can only assume that you downloaded/installed the audio driver before you tried your hardware (ie.your Media Player) in which case I would say yes it is possible to install an incorrect driver.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Q3 2014 financial results: Apple announces record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer