We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Homeplug adapter connection problem

GBL

Likes # 0

My daughter has two PC's both using Win XP, one downstairs and the other upstairs. I have set up a router downstairs and have been attempting to use homeplug adapters to connect the upstairs PC to the internet, all lights light up on the adapter but there is no internet connection on the computer. Is there anything else I should be doing?? All worked fine at my house on a similar set up, I did nothing but plug and play, not this time round.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Important - does the Mains Ring-Main cover both downstairs and upstairs into one single Mains Meter?

If not, then that is why it will not pick up the Internet.

Like this post
GBL

Likes # 0

Not sure on that but mine wasn't and it worked fine.

Like this post
GBL

Likes # 0

Misunderstood you on that, yes all wiring goes to the same consumer unit.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I should have said that the rings or circuits (such as upstairs and downstairs) mains must be on the same fuse box / consumer box.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Some homeplugs apparently have a button to press after connecting to mains, though my own do not have any buttons, simply plug & play.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

What stops HomePlug from working, will they work with extension Lead? Avoid surge protected / Filtered mains extension blocks as these block the HomePlug signal. Long extension leads will degrade the signal so it is best practice to plug the HomePlug directly into a wall socket.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

Damned things should be banned, it's blunderbuss technology that has no regard to any other users of the RF spectrum. This is one of many articles regarding the muck they chuck out.

Like this post
GBL

Likes # 0

Sounds like you have a problem octal.

The adapter upstairs is directly into the mains wall socket and shows all lights to say that there is internet it is the computer that fails to connect with the net.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hmm, could possibly be a faulty ethernet cable from homeplug to PC.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

I would suggest you cheak the network settings on both computers,the fact that the lights are on the homeplugs may well show they are working.( presume they are a matched pair and have been setup correctley ) if both computers have not been set up for networking together that may be the problem

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance