We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Drive Nearly Full

Legslip

Likes # 0

My pals PC is running XP with an 80gb HD. The drive is very full and therefore slow. I have looked at a few folder sizes and a folder in C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup is showing 14gb. There are six other folder in the Apple Backup and thay all show about half a gig or less. Any idea why one is so large? Is it safe to delete?

Also, C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook is showing at 5gb. Why is this so large?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If you open the Outlook file you may well find the pst and ost files there. If your pal has a large amount of e-mails, calendar events, archived items then this could explain the size of the folder.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Yes Woolwell your right, it's his pst file. Think we'll have to consider fitting a much larger HD.

How difficult is it to fit a new disk and transfer everything over inc. Windows so that the PC boots as normal from it?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Cloning with Seagate Discwizard takes about 15 mins.

here

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks OnTheLimit. Can I use the Seagate software with a Western Digital HD?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Had a look on the manufacturers websites, free program and download from a link on the pages:

About DiscWizard: Seagate DiscWizard works with Maxtor and Seagate disc drives clickhere

WesternDigital Free: Acronis True Image WD Edition Software

Acronis True Image WD Edition Software helps you to completely clone your current system drive onto your new WD hard drive

http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I'm pretty sure the Seagate one is also a slimmed down version of Acronis - very easy to use, but obviously best to use the one free from WD

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

onthelimit1, yes I agree Seagate one is also slimmed down version of Acronis. I used that for ages before got present of Acronis2010 when the snow was thick on the ground 9 months ago *

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Brilliant people. Will report back when done. Thanks again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks