We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Faulty laptop lid?

kayell1

Likes # 0

My granddaughter has a 13 month old Acer laptop (just out of warranty) and it has developed a fault. When the lid is raised fully upright and the unit is switched on all you get is a glow on the screen. However, when the lid is raised only to about halfway (45% or so)it will switch on and boot up OK. Any ideas what it could be please?

thanks

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

It's probably the wiring harness from mobo to screen. It may even just need the plugs reseating. Trouble is, it requires a fair amount of dismantling to reach those. If you are OK with this sort of thing, you may find the service manual here

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I would take this up with the retailer or manufacturer, because an item like this could be covered under consumer law for up to 5 years. Being only one month out of warranty, would make me more concerned in seeking help.

What I would suggest is that you do an internet search, so as to see if this problems as been reported before. If it as, then there would be a stronger case for you to proceed with.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

spuds

a ggod idea but, from personal experience, Acer can be quite 'sniffy' about this. 'tis worth a try first though (I hadne't noticed the age when I replied).

Like this post
kayell1

Likes # 0

The laptop has just been back from Acer as one of the keys had broken and a new keyboard had been fitted under warranty . It was a day out of warranty and Acer only did it as a gesture of good will ..according to them. Is it possible the faulty screen connection is some way connected to Acer's repair work?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I would say it was highly likely. So worth getting in touch and explaining the situation.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

A day out of warranty means very little, and by Acer replacing the keyboard, as a fault, could well mean that the 'new' fault occured at the time of repair. Get in touch with Acer and explain your concern.

You haven't mentioned how long it was from having the laptop returned, to when you first had the new problem. Can you supply this information?.

Like this post
kayell1

Likes # 0

It was about 10 days from getting the laptop back and the new problem.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Still would advice that you get in touch with the repairer.

You could also contact Consumer Direct http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk for advice, before you contact Acer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features