We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

trashing of floppy disk by windows7

cordeiro

Likes # 0

I have a dell vostro460 windows7 professional and word 2010, and a usb floppy drive.when i open a file in the floppy drive it lists the files on the disk, I click on one to select the file, word 2010 loads and displays the file, I then make changes and add somthing more and then click to 'save as' with a new filename. instead of saving the file in a new filename, the floppy is driven and fails to save but then OS or word 2010 trashes the file and asks if 'do you want to format ?' I have lost 3 floppies with valuable data and I suspect it is the O.S to blame. Please help. Rufino Cordeiro

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

cordeiro

I think I would copy the files from the floppy disk to a folder on the hard drive and avoid trying to edit the files actually on the floppy disk or save any files to the floppy disk. Just use the files already on the floppy as archive material, but don't try to edit them on the floppy disk at all.

Peter.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Floppy possibly has not much room on it and when you make changes it gets fragmented (has to try to fit a bit here a bit there)

I would do as Peter says don't try to edit them on the floppy disk at all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home