We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 text has changed to symbols.

SupaGaz

Likes # 0

Hi guys :) After shutting down and restarting Windows 7, all the text in screens such as the "Welcome" screen and the text under icons on the desktop have changed to symbols. The type face on most applications has changed as well. I thought it might be a regional setting issue, but I managed to get into that and it's set for UDT I think it said. (I live near London, UK) I have manage to find my way almost blind into Control panel and then get the Font window opened from there, but can read nothing now I'm in there. Is this likely to be a viral thing, or somehow just some setting got changed inadvertently? Any help on getting it back to how it should be in English would be a great benefit .. Thanks :)

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

If System Restore is enabled, you can restore the computer to an earlier date using Safe Mode.

Restart the computer and start tapping the F8 key, select the Safe Mode with Command Prompt option. If you are asked to select an operating system, use the arrow keys to select the correct one and press Enter. Log on as an administrator or with an account that has administrator credentials.

At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\rstrui.exe and press Enter. Follow the prompts to restore the computer to an earlier date.

Like this post
SupaGaz

Likes # 0

Ok thanks ... I'll give that a go :) Not sure I'm going to be able to read anything, but we'll see :) Here is a couple of screen shots of how the desktop and the Fonts window look right now :) www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150339356689857.360610.686169856&l=4b3473a6c2&type=1

Like this post
SupaGaz

Likes # 0

That did fix it thanks ... Although I was still mainly blind as most of the text was still symbols even in Safe Mode ..... but I got through to the restore bit and found one that worked :) Anybody have any idea what might of caused this so I can avoid doing it again please?

Thanks, Garry.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features