We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Loss of ethernet connection

jwilks99

Likes # 0

In the process of uninstalling browser software my ethernet connect to router has disappeared. Diagnostics tell me a cable is disconnected or broken, but this is not so. The problem is at the PC end, all the router ethernet ports work well with a second machine. Device manager says the ethernet adapter is working OK. I am running Windows 7 Home. Can anyone suggest help ?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I am still with XP, but in Devices see if you can Update the Ethernet Driver.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Right click on your Network Icon on Taskbar (next to clock) and select Troubleshoot Problems

Like this post
jwilks99

Likes # 0

Thanks to you both. Troubleshooter simply says cable unplugged. Device Manager says driver is up to date. Still have the problem

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Try a System Restore back to before you had this problem.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Right click again on your Network Icon and select Network & Sharing Center - From that screen select Change Adapter Settings - If you have 2 Ethernet connections on rear of PC you will have the following showing - 1. Local Area Connection 2. Local Are Connection 2 (One will have a red cross) Right click on the one without the red cross (if you have 2)and select Disable this Network Device then right click again to select Enable this Device. If you just have the 1 connection showing just follow the same procedure. Close and try to connect to the Internet.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features