We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

8GB installed (3.25 useable)

thetrickster

Likes # 0

Hi all. Just installed 8GB ddr3 on my windows 7 machine. Checked in the control panel my system info, and it says I only have 3.25 useable. How can I alter this. Would my games use the full 8GB or do I have to change something in windows to free up my 8GB mem for gaming purposes.

rich

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

*thetrickser I have tried to install over my 32 bit with my 64 bit disc, but *it wont allow me to do it.

You can't do it. The 2 discs are provided so that you can choose to install which version you want but you can't install over the top, it has to be a fresh install and as butemanhas pointed out, if you want to dual boot (although I can't think of why anyone would want to do that) you would require a 2nd licence.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

This explains it all here enter link description here

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

northumbria61

I think you have provided the same link as I had in a previous post.

bremner. Is seemingly is coming back with relevant information on how to upgrade from 32 to 64 Bit without a fresh install.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do