We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

8GB installed (3.25 useable)

thetrickster

Likes # 0

Hi all. Just installed 8GB ddr3 on my windows 7 machine. Checked in the control panel my system info, and it says I only have 3.25 useable. How can I alter this. Would my games use the full 8GB or do I have to change something in windows to free up my 8GB mem for gaming purposes.

rich

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Are you using the 32bit version of W7, if so that's the answer.

Ram limits

Like this post
thetrickster

Likes # 0

Yes I am using the 32 bit version. Does that mean my games will only use the 3.25GB? If so that leads me onto my next question. When I bought my windows 7 product I recieved both the 32 bit disc and the 64 bit disc. Can I upgrade so to speak my 32 bit version to 64 bit or will I have to do a fresh install of the 64 bit version?

Like this post
thetrickster

Likes # 0

Yes I am using the 32 bit version. Does that mean my games will only use the 3.25GB? If so that leads me onto my next question. When I bought my windows 7 product I recieved both the 32 bit disc and the 64 bit disc. Can I upgrade so to speak my 32 bit version to 64 bit or will I have to do a fresh install of the 64 bit version?

Like this post
thetrickster

Likes # 0

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The 32 bit system can only use a maximum 4GB of the RAM so your games will only use the 3.25GB.

Yes you upgrade to 64 bit, but with any major operating system install or upgrade you should ALWAYS back up any irreplaceable data up before doing so.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Upgrade will cost you.

Not sure if you can run the 64 Bit version on an External drive without having to pay for it.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

No you cannot upgrade from Windows 7 32 Bit to 64 Bit, it will need to be a custom install or fresh install . So if you go this route make sure you back up your files and remember that you will need to reinstall your programs.

See here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

Fifth question down.

Sorry about the rubbish link, but the globe has disappeared.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ignore last.

After a further search it seems you have to pay for a second licence if you want to dual boot the 32bit and 64 bit versions of W/7.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

gengiscant

I see your link but I posted after a couple of IT colleagues stated they had quite successfully initially installed the 32bit W7 and later "upgraded" using their 64 bit disk.

I shall speak with them and ask what process they used.

Like this post
thetrickster

Likes # 0

thanks gegiscant. I have tried to install over my 32 bit with my 64 bit disc, but it wont allow me to do it. maybe ther is another process?

Rich

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide