We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista Will Not Boot

Legslip

Likes # 0

Have been working on my pals PC and he had Vista Updates switched off. Have now installed all updates up to S.Pack 2. Prob is when I switch on, it boots to the Microsoft Corporation screen with the bar running but that is as far as it gets. I have left it for a couple of hours but there seems to be little or no HDrive activity. Any solutions?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I think you'd have to start with a system restore?

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Before I loaded all the updates the PC worked OK. When all updates installed the problem starts. Did a full system restore and removed all updates yesterday and put 'em back on again. Problem is back. Don't really want to uninstall 'em all AGAIN! What a b...y pain!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Don't you just love Vista - bin tearing my hair out with a couple recently!

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Same problem is still happening. Boot gets to 'Microsoft Corporation' then hangs for hours until switched off. Just have a gut feeling it's to do with Vista updates or an update. Any guidance will be gratefully received. No boot CD,,,only option is a complete system restore. Don't really want to go down that avenue!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Do a start up repair

You need to look at Windows Vista's Repair Your Computer options.

• Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
  • System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
  • Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
  • Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window

With the Complete PC Restore Option you must have made a backup of your system, either on your hard drive or on a set of DVDs, in order to use this option. If you don't have a backup then don't use this option

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows Vista installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.

Pre-Installed Options NOTE

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding.

1/ Start your PC

2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key

4/ In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear

5/ Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6/ Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7/ Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8/ The recovery options should now appear

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

As always Fruit Bat greatly appreciated.Will have a look tomorrow and repoert back.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat. Completed the Startup repair and then the PC loaded three Vista updates successfuly. Hopefully that sfixed it and to try and stop it happening again I have turned off Automatic Updates, rightfully or wrongly.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Glad its sorted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...