We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Drives G, H and I have stopped working......... For SD cards etc.

peter99co
Resolved

Likes # 0

These are the card readers on the front of my PC. They appear as generic now on the Device Manager (they all have the yellow triangles on) but will not start. I cant get them to start and appear on My Computer display along with C, D drive plus E reader.

I uninstalled one (leaving 2)and restarted the PC but it came back with the same small yellow triangle on.

Do I need to unplug the card reader connections and restart without them? Then reconnect and let the Plug and Play re-discover them?

This loss occurred shortly after installing Acronis software but may have been a coincidence.

Now and then I would use Safe Remove to take a pendrive or external drive 'F' off the system and if I chose wrong option it would remove 'G,H and I' as well, but they would return on a re-start.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I had the same problem with my Medion computer.

Go into Device Manager and look for a device that is not digitally signed.

You have to remove the driver on it and download one that is digitally signed or change the file or folder to allow it.

Took me about a week to work out how to allow it.

Microsoft does not like unsigned drivers and this is the result.

Sorry if I am a bit vague but it happened to me a few months ago and have since reset the computer to factory settings because of a different problem.

I now remember that I had to change the File to allow the driver but not sure how I did it.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

When you open Device manager click on Universal serial bus controllers.

When you open it it should show you which one is not working properly,it will probably tell you unsigned driver.it is just a matter of going into the file for it and changing it to allow the driver.

Like I said I was not that sure how it was done so had to practice on it till I eventually managed to change it so that it would then accept the driver.

Took me about a fortnight before I managed to fix it as I was not that sure what I was doing.

You have to change permissions I think it was.

Anyway best of luck hope you get it fixed.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ignore all of the links on this as they no longer work.

Maybe go to the very last post for the outcome.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4046538/usb-mass-storage-needs-updating/?ob=datea&pn=4

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

This loss occurred shortly after installing Acronis software but may have been a coincidence.

Same thing has happened to mine - what works for me is to put card in the slot then in device manager unistall the reader - then scan for new hardware.

Windows will now find it and recognise it and install the drivers and you willl be able to see the contents of the card in My computer- However after you have removed the card and reboot it will be back to the Yellow peril.

Like this post  
peter99co

Likes # 0

Windows will now find it and recognise it and install the drivers and you willl be able to see the contents of the card in My computer- However after you have removed the card and reboot it will be back to the Yellow peril.

As you said! Gone again. The SD card was visible and the contents intact.

I may remove the card reader unit and run without it. Then refit it and hope it plug and plays.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund