We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I think I've been diddled by Google?

Covergirl
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just done a search on guitar headstock design and Google tells me it's found 1,030,000 images in .44 seconds. Scrolling down to the bottom I arrive at Page 10 and a button for Show More Results which gives me more images down to Page 40. There is not another Show More Results button so I must assume I've got everything - but with around 20-28 images on a page that adds up to around 800 to 1,100 images.

Is Google deceiving us on purpose?

Just wondered . . . .

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

perhaps Google has got its megs and gigs mixed up ;0)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

How many images do you want?

I just ran a search for "guitar headstock design images" and Google tells me it found 4.7 million results in 0.27 seconds. I looked as far as page 74, and got the "In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 692 already displayed." message.

At the end of your 40 pages did you not see the same thing?

Like this post  
Covergirl

Likes # 0

FE

Thanks for that suggestion but I don't remember seeing that message yesterday, although I have seen it in the past.

I think you might be doing your search on the "Web" (default) whereas I selected "Images" and omitted the word "Images" from the search criteria. I get the same as you if I do it that way and I get the message too.

If I now select to include these omitted results, I only get 100 pages at 10 results per page. Still nowhere near.

Diddled!!

I'll consider sending a strongly worded letter of complaint to their CEO, but on second thoughts, the likelyhood of getting a response is about nil so I won't even bother mentally composing it.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

As for how many results do I want? One would be sufficient if it were the right one. As it was, I couldn't spot what I wanted in the selection I was offered. I might have a Bing or even go back to Alta Vista.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

Ah, but all those images Google finds have to be shared between all of us users who have suddenly been prompted to search for "guitar headstock design " ... and who never would have searched for them before ;-) So, with over a million pictures, and only a thousand for you, I guess there are another thousand people like me who have stolen a portion of your image search. Of course, if you'd like to generously reimburse me, I could forward all my search images to you...

Now, please tell. Why are you searching for these - although some of them are truly beautiful!

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Ha Ha - interesting theory bjh. When I get my refund off of Google I'll pass some along to you.

Actually, I have no intention to reincarnate my previous thread (guitar now passed into other hands), but this headstock has an unusual design although I couldn't guarantee it was totally unique. I was perusing some old photos and thought I might locate some reference to this mystery guitar by way of investigating headstock designs. However, due to the dire shortage of images in Googles image bank, I'm still at a loose end. Ho hum - lunchtime over, back to the grindstone.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback