We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New build - random shutdown sound.

Candi_Stix

Likes # 0

Hi there, i would like to pick a few brains if poss. Yesterday i built a new system, kept original gaming case and nvidia 7200gt gc.

Mobo asus m4a87td evo PSU THERMALTAKE 675W CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 Ram 2x2gb corsair vengeance

500GB hdd with brandnew win 7 64bit os.

Everything went swimmingly considering all that could have gone wrong, my system is all up and running minus my new fault.

The normal clicking sound when shutting down, is randomly happening. nothing actually happens, it just makes that clicking sound. ive heared it 4 times so far, and have no idea where the sound is coming from or why.

I havnt noticed anything in particular im doing when i hear the sound, all i know is it cant be good.

any suggestion would be appreciated, thanks.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In case it's interference with your sound system try another power source. It could be an appliance on the same circuit that's cutting in and out.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

Some hard drives make an audible click when they park the read heads, but it would happen every time you shut down the computer.

The only other moving parts are the fans and in the optical drive(s). Why don't you shut down with the case side removed, and see if you can locate the click?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Candi_Stix

This sounds like a faulty HDD.

Like this post
Candi_Stix

Likes # 0

Its happened one time since, but not when shutting down. i will try the shutdown with side off, hopfully i can locate it. seems like some sort of conflict. dont think its a faulty hdd.... could boot it up elsewhere and see though. interference with my sound? im only using on board sound..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen